Dr Stephen James (Member NSW Bar, IIA, Law Society, Certified Lead Auditor – Standards Australia)
Stephen brings over 25 years of practical and demonstrable governance, risk and compliance expertise to the table. As a recognised leader in the industry, particularly in the area of data governance and risk management capabilities, he has assisted literally hundreds of government agencies (including Australian government, State and Territory government and local government departments) and private sector organisations (including stock exchanges, banks, insurance companies, manufacturing organisations, the entertainment industry, healthcare entities, the utilities sector and many others) both across Australia and abroad.
A sample of highlights from the past 25 years include the following:
- Stephen has been an Associate Director with the NSW Internal Audit Bureau for 20 years and with that brings a wealth of public sector experience and expertise to the table. He was also a Senior Advisor with Price Waterhouse Coopers before that.
- Stephen has personally completed over a thousand audit and assurance assignments throughout the private and public sectors including: compliance reviews; probity reviews; risk assessments; efficiency reviews; business process reviews; ICT and information audit reviews; project and program reviews and more.
- He has also personally undertaken over a thousand information security and privacy consultancies across both the public and private sectors including: ISO 27001 development and deployment projects; ISMS internal audits; development and deployment of data governance and privacy management frameworks and capabilities; privacy impact assessments; information and ICT security and privacy advisory projects; information management projects and much more.
- He has developed, deployed, tested and assured business continuity, disaster recovery, crisis management, resilience and ICT recovery capabilities and plans for private and public sector firms both within Australia and beyond.
- Stephen has held a number of operational posts including: Head of Security for the whole of government in the ACT; Head of Security for the Sydney Futures Exchange; Security Advisor to the Australian Stock Exchange, Singapore Stock Exchange, Krung Thai Bank and many others; General Manager Security & Risk Management at the University of NSW; General Counsel for various entities including government agencies and private sector firms; Security & Risk Advisor to the United Nations; and many more such posts.
- Stephen is a regular lecturer and trainer for various institutions and authorities such as: the Institute of Internal Auditors; the Institute of Chartered Accountants; various central NSW government agencies (including the State Records Authority, the NSW Internal Audit Bureau and others); as well as higher education institutions both throughout Australia and abroad.
- Stephen’s key skill lies in his “grey hair” thinking. During his time with the NSW IAB, Stephen was known as the “go to man” across government to lead and undertake specialist projects for which there were no precedents. That is to say, where methodologies and prior solutions do not exist, Stephen is able to draw on his decades of experience and knowledge to derive practical solutions, defendable frameworks and irrefutable methodologies. A huge asset to our team and to GRC clients.
Whilst the above isn’t necessarily riveting dinner party conversation, there’s so much more to Stephen’s background and expertise that we simply couldn’t list everything here. Contact us if you’d like to find out more about Steve or any of our other “grey hair”, highly experienced consultants.