The Fair Work Ombudsman has updated the Fair Work Information Statement (FWIS) to make it easier to understand minimum workplace entitlements.
The provision of the FWIS forms part of the National Employment Standards (NES). The NES apply to all employees covered by the national workplace relations system, regardless of any award, agreement or contract.
Every worker in Australia needs to get a copy of the FWIS when they start a new job.
The FWIS provides new employees with information about their conditions of employment, such as:
* the National Employment Standards
* right to request flexible working arrangements
* modern awards
* making agreements under the Fair Work Act 2009
* individual flexibility arrangements
* freedom of association and workplace rights (general protections)
* termination of employment
* right of entry
* the role of the Fair Work Ombudsman and the Fair Work Commission.
Download the updated FWIS from the Ombudsman’s website. If you have in house policies or procedures that need to be updated to reflect the changes in the FWIS, then do so.
Give all new employees a copy of the FWIS either:
* in person
* by mail
* by email
* by emailing a link to the Ombo’s website
* by fax.